Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Zahara Jolie-Pitt Ask Your Mama To Buy A Comb "

http://www.womanist-musings.com/2009/10/zahara-jolie-pitt-ask-your-mama-to-buy.html

Interesting post found in "Womanist Musings" on October 13, 2009. The writer stresses the importance of cultural competence (or lack thereof) in cross-racial parenting and adoption. This is a sticky subject because, on one hand, I believe that every child who would otherwise be filtered through the fostercare system *deserves* a loving family, regardless of race, ethnicity, or, ahem, sexual orientation of the parents. On the other hand, I completely acknowledge that for a child of color to be raised by white parents, there will be a disconnect in culture and life experiences. This writer references her mother as the person who would tend to her hair every week, something that was clearly a memorable part of her childhood. In this blog, Angelina (rather than Brad) is the main culprit for not treating Zahara's hair as it should be treated. Interesting.

1 comment:

  1. This article really bothered me. I think you nailed it when you said that the purpose of adoption is to provide kids with a loving home. Yes, I get that Zahara's heritage should be honored, but really? Is her hair that big of a deal? My first gut reaction was that Zahara probably didn't want to have her hair done. I remember as a child that I thought it was the coolest thing in the world when I didn't have to do my hair. My mother would braid, bow, and all but bouffant my hair, and quite frankly, it hurt. Not only that, but putting so much pressure on a little girl's hair can set her up for major problems.

    The care of one's hair has nothing to do with respect of one's culture. It is only hair.

    ReplyDelete